Jan Hart Black became a member of Southwestern Medical Foundation's Board of Trustees in 2000. She is a member of the Executive Committee, Investment Committee, and has chaired the Foundation's Public Affairs Committee since 2011. Jan also holds a spot on the President's Advisory Board at UT Southwestern Medical Center. We are so grateful for her support of our mission, and the many ways she gives the gift of better health to our community. (Pictured above: Jan Hart Black and Stuart Black)
1. Tell us about the role of Southwestern Medical Foundation's Public Affairs Committee. This board committee provides advice to Foundation leadership regarding best ways “get out the word” regarding the good work of the Foundation and UT Southwestern’s medical community.
2. What is your vision for how the Public Affairs Committee can advance the mission of Southwestern Medical Foundation? Our committee members have great experience in philanthropy and in public and donor relations. Harnessing the energies and expertise of these outstanding board members enables us to promote the mission of the Foundation to an increasingly larger community of supporters.
3. Can you tell us a little about how you got involved with Southwestern Medical Foundation? I was recruited to the board a number of years ago. Both my father and husband have been members of the Dallas medical community, and I have had a long term passion for it.
4. As former city manager for Dallas, tell us about the progress you’re seeing in our city. What role do you believe Southwestern Medical Foundation plays in that progress? There is no doubt the Foundation was instrumental in establishing Dallas as the center of medical research, education, and care that it is today. In fact, the Foundation was created for the purpose of creating the medical school, which it did.
5. What would you say to encourage others to support Southwestern Medical Foundation? If you have a passion for your community and city, the Foundation is a place to ensure its continued growth as a center of medical excellence.
6. What inspires you personally, as a philanthropist? A chance to make a difference where I can.