Southwestern Medical Foundation is a leading non-profit foundation committed to advancing the important cause of academic medicine, research and medical education. In 1943, the Foundation established Southwestern Medical College and helped to nurture its growth from a fledgling medical school into one of the preeminent medical research and academic centers in the world. That college today — UT Southwestern — enjoys an international reputation for discovering the basis for disease through research, applying the discoveries to the clinical care of patients, and educating the next generation of health care professionals.
For 75 years, it has been our privilege to foster a unique culture where generosity can be imbued with meaning. The Foundation currently manages over $800 million across 1,000 funds, creating a financial resource that will enable advances in health care benefiting the citizens of this community, state and the nation for years to come.
Schedule and Duration
- Hours may vary based on schedule of student and business needs
- Duration will typically be the span of an academic semester
Paid internship. Compensation will be commensurate with educational qualifications and related work experience.
Deadline for internship applications: May 5, 2017. No phone calls please. To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume in a Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who do not follow the application process may be disqualified.
Communications and Donor Relations Intern
We are looking for the best and the brightest who can bring new and fresh ideas that can impact our organization for Summer 2017. This internship is an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and training by supporting the Foundation’s communications and donor relations efforts, while working for a well-known public charitable corporation. Students will be able to learn firsthand from a diverse group of experienced staff members in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
The Communications and Donor Relations Intern will be responsible for the following, though additional duties may be assigned:
- Assist with developing and managing the communications and social media strategy across multiple platforms
- Assist with the process of posting on multiple platforms
- Research and support opportunities to establish presence, engage influencers and grow our audience
- Develop targeted outreach lists
- Collaborate with staff to identify and develop various communications related content and templates
- Assist with paid social media campaigns
- Assist with content development for our website
- Conduct research related to communications and social media strategy best practices
- Assist with content and photos for our annual publication
- Assist with organization and maintaining donor database; perform donor database research requests as needed
- Create electronic donor files from existing hard copy files
- Conduct research and prepare profiles on top donors and prospects
- Research new donor opportunities and provide suggestions on how to recruit new donors
- Assist with donor engagement efforts, including coordinating events such as lunches, meetings, and small gatherings
- Assist with Event Management efforts, including event tracking
- Serve as a liaison between vendors as necessary
- Create an archive of past events
- Assist with creating template documents for events and other donor activities
- Strong academic performance (minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Above average computer skills, with working knowledge of Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suite
- Ability to operate office equipment such as scanners and copy machines
- Results-driven with the ability to meet commitments by deadlines
- Flexible and able to adapt as priorities change
- Creative with ability to connect with the community and current changes and trends
- Superb verbal and written communication skills; strong editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Absolute attention to detail, even while managing multiple tasks at any one time
- Exceptional organizational skills and a commitment to quality
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Must possess strong initiative and anticipation capabilities
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the Foundation and the opportunity to work for a nonprofit
Ideal candidate is an undergraduate (junior or senior) or graduate student in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Business, Nonprofit Management or related degree.